- Hillview Elementary School
Deadline Extended: Notice of Board Member Vacancy
Notice of Board Member Vacancy - Place #5
The Jefferson County Board of Education is soliciting letters of interest and resumes from persons who wish to be considered to fill the vacancy on the Board created by the resignation of the board member holding Place #5. In accordance with § 45-37-100 of the Code of Alabama (1975) and Ala. Act 645 (1975), applicants for the position must reside in an area within Jefferson County that is served by a municipal school system. The person appointed will serve the remainder of the unexpired term of the resigning member, which will end in November 2022.
Candidates must meet all legal qualifications for the position, including those set out in §16-8-1 of the Code of Alabama (1975), which states no person shall be eligible for election or appointment as a member of a county board of education unless he or she satisfies all of the following qualifications:
- Is a person of good moral character.
- Has obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent.
- Is not employed by that county board of education, unless serving as a member of the county board of education on April 20, 2012.
- Is not serving on the governing board of a private elementary or secondary education institution.
- Is not on the national sex offender registry or the state sex offender registry.
- Has not been convicted of a felony.
The School Board Governance Improvement Act of 2012 requires that all potential candidates must be willing to comply with the Certificate of Affirmation of School Board Members which states:
- That each decision, action and vote I take or make as a member of the school board shall be based solely on the needs and interests of students or the system.
- That I will take or make no decision, action or vote to serve or promote my personal, political, or pecuniary interests.
- That each decision, action and vote I take or make shall be based on the educational interests of the school system as a whole.
- That I will consider the views of all members of the board and the superintendent before making a decision or taking an action on any measure or proposal before the board.
- That, except to the extent otherwise provided by law, I shall take formal action only upon the written recommendation of and in consultation with the superintendent, and that I may not individually or jointly attempt to direct or corrupt the operations of the school system in a manner inconsistent with the discharge of the statutory functions and responsibilities of the superintendent.
- That I shall actively promote public support for the school system and a sound statewide system of public education, and shall endorse ideas, initiatives and programs that are designed to improve the quality of public education for all students.
- That I shall attend scheduled meetings and actively participate in school system functions, activities and training programs that promote quality boardsmanship unless good cause is shown.
Letters of interest and resumes should include the candidate’s mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number(s), and any special contact information or instructions. The information will be accepted through the end of the business day (4:30 p.m.) on Wednesday, January 30, 2019, and should be addressed to:
Mr. Oscar S. Mann, President
Jefferson County Board of Education
2100 18th Street South
Birmingham, AL 35209
Interviews with qualifying candidates will be scheduled for Wednesday, February 6, 2019.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact Barbara Littles, Board Secretary at 205-379-2225 or email@example.com. You may also visit our board's webpage by clicking here.