- West Jefferson Elementary School
Updated COVID Isolation Guidelines for Students - January 6, 2022
Dear JEFCOED Family,
As I mentioned in my previous letter on Tuesday, our guidelines are subject to change if the Alabama Department of Public Health releases new guidance. On Wednesday, ADPH adopted the CDC’s new isolation guidelines for K-12 students. They are outlined below.
COVID-19 positive students will follow these procedures:
- Must be isolated for at least 5 days after symptoms first appear or 5 days from the test date for asymptomatic individuals
- Must be fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications at the end of the 5 day period
- Improvement of all other symptoms
- Upon returning to school, the student must wear a mask for at least 5 days.
If the above criteria are not met, the student should isolate for the remaining five days.
Students who have not tested positive for COVID-19 or are not symptomatic should attend school.
The five day guideline will go into effect immediately. Students who were advised of the ten day guideline prior to the update released by the CDC and ADPH for K-12 will now revert to the five day guideline.
If you have been instructed to isolate for ten days due to a positive COVID test, you may return after 5 days if you meet the above mentioned criteria. If you have questions about a student’s return date, please contact your school’s nurse.
Dr. Walter Gonsoulin