- JCIB Irondale Campus
Masks Mandatory Starting Thursday August 26th
Dear JEFCOED Family,
We are enacting several changes to our COVID response plan.
- Starting Thursday, August 26, 2021 masks will become mandatory for all individuals at all JEFCOED campuses during school hours. They will be required through at least October 1st. We will reassess the situation before October 1st and communicate future plans to you.
- Masks must continue to be worn on school buses. (This has been our policy since the first day of school.)
- Masks will remain optional but recommended for all athletic and extracurricular activities. We will continue to follow all other points of emphasis from the AHSAA.
Our primary goal is to keep students safe and healthy. I am concerned with the growing number of students who are excluded from school. In one week we saw our exclusion numbers jump from 3% to 10%. Universal masking will significantly reduce the number of students who are excluded from school due to exposure. Masks will mean more kids stay in class. Masks will mean more students continue learning from inside the school walls.
With universal maskings, students and employees will be notified of possible exposure. However, these individuals will not be excluded from school unless they become symptomatic.
We ask that parents and employees report a COVID-19 positive diagnosis or symptomatic exposure to your school nurse.
COVID-19 positive and/or symptomatic exposed individuals must meet the following criteria before returning to school/work:
- Must be isolated for at least 10 days after symptoms first appear
- Must be fever free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications at the end of the 10 day period
- Improvement of all other symptoms
Due to universal masking, students and employees who are currently excluded from school may return to campus after 10 days of exclusion if the student or employee has experienced no symptoms.
Dr. Walter Gonsoulin