- Hueytown Elementary School
Notice of Vacancy in the Position of Superintendent of Education
JEFFERSON COUNTY SCHOOLS
NOTICE OF VACANCY IN THE POSITION OF SUPERINTENDENT OF EDUCATION
Superintendent of Jefferson County Schools
The Superintendent serves as the Chief Executive Officer of the Jefferson County Board of Education. The Superintendent’s duties include those prescribed for superintendents under the Alabama Code (§16-9-2, et seq.) and corresponding requirements and regulations established by the Alabama State Board of Education and the Jefferson County Board of Education. The Superintendent is responsible for implementation of board policies and its approved goals and objectives. The Superintendent oversees and directs the effective operation of the school system, including the general administration of all instructional, business, and other functions. The Superintendent advises and makes recommendations to the Board of Education respecting such activities, including policies and procedures deemed appropriate to the attainment of system goals and legal compliance.
- General fitness and character appropriate to the position;
- Holds or is eligible to obtain an Alabama Superintendent’s Certificate;
- Doctoral degree from an accredited four-year college or university;
- Certification or eligibility for certification in administration and recognized ability as a school administrator;
- A minimum of five years’ successful experience as a principal and/or central office level public school administrator (at least 3 years of which have been within the last 5 years);
- Such other minimum qualifications as may be established by statute or the State Board of Education.
The Jefferson County Board of Education is seeking a leader with strong interpersonal and leadership skills to manage the system effectively and efficiently. Desired traits include:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to evaluate personnel and programs and effectively lead the administrative team;
- Strong communication skills;
- Ability to work with and generate support from the school board and stakeholders; and
- Understanding of Alabama school finance laws and experience managing budgets and financial affairs.
The salary range for the position is approximately $175,000.00 - $225,000.00, plus benefits, but is negotiable based on the successful candidate’s experience and proven track record of success.
To be considered for this position, submit your completed application, a cover letter, and an official transcript to:
Jefferson County Superintendent Search
c/o Bishop, Colvin, Johnson & Kent, LLC
1910 First Avenue North Birmingham, AL 35203
If by email, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be submitted using the official application form, which is available upon request from Melissa McKie at Bishop, Colvin, Johnson & Kent, LLC at the above address or by email at email@example.com.
The official transcript must be sent directly to the above address or by email from the educational institution that granted the highest degree.
For additional information, please contact Carl Johnson or Melissa McKie at (205) 251-2881.
DEADLINE FOR APPLYING: ALL COMPLETE APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION MUST BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN 4:00 P.M. CST on November 17, 2019.
Applicants are solely responsible for ensuring that all materials are received in a timely manner and are strongly urged to personally verify timely submission of those materials.
The Jefferson County Board of Education reserves the right to waive nonmaterial defects or discrepancies in applications and to verify, clarify, or obtain supplementation regarding information supplied by applicants, as well as relevant background information.
The Board may interview some or all of the finalists. However, the Board reserves the right to make a decision based solely on the written applications.