- Shades Valley High School
- Counseling Program
Return to Headlines
The Shades Valley High School Counseling Program believes:
- All students have promise and can achieve academic success, college/career readiness and social/emotional wellness.
- All students have the right to participate in an effective school counseling program.
- Every student deserves a personal relationship with a state-certified professional school counselor.
The Shades Valley High School Counseling Program will:
- Provide individual access to school counselors for all students.
- Offer a comprehensive program that is designed to meet the developmental needs of all students.
- Advocate for all students.
- Work with all stakeholders (students, parents, teachers, administrators and the community) in meeting the needs of students.
- Partner with the goals of Shades Valley High School, the Jefferson County School District and the Alabama State Department of Education.
Shades Valley High School counselors will:
- Work as a team to plan, manage, deliver and evaluate school counseling program activities.
- Rely on data to make program decisions.
- Remain flexible as student needs change over time.
- Meet with an advisory council to share the goals and impact of the school counseling program.
- Actively follow students' academic progress, college/career readiness goals and social/emotional wellness.
- Be dedicated to the higher levels of practice as outlined in the ASCA Ethical Standards for School Counselors.
- Continue to seek and participate in professional development that enriches their effectiveness to help students find academic, college/career and social/emotional success.
- Provide leadership and support for other Alabama high schools as they embrace the implementation of the ASCA model.