Students apply for admission to the Jefferson County International Baccalaureate. Students may have attended any accredited homeschool, private or public school prior to entrance to JCIB. The schedule at JCIB is an alternating block, with classes meeting every other day for the entire year.
Students are offered opportunities in the Work-Study program where students arrange to volunteer for at least a semester in a field of interest to them, e.g. university lab, local hospital, law office, veterinarian clinics, public library, middle school, etc. to further explore college and career options.
JCIB students complete on the athletic teams at Shades Valley High School including but not limited to baseball, basketball (boys & girls), bowling (boys & girls), cheer, color guard, cross-country (boys & girls), football, golf (boys & girls), soccer (boys & girls), softball, swimming, tennis (boys & girls), track (boys & girls), volleyball, and wrestling at the 6A level.
Sports are not the only competitive teams available to JCIB students. Academic teams include but not limited to Debate, Science Olympiad, Math Team, Scholars Bowl, Mu Alpha Theta, and Model UN.
There are a variety of extracurricular clubs and service organizations led/comprised of JCIB students: Best Robotics, Chess & Strategic Gaming, Diamond Dolls, Future Business Leaders of America, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, First Priority, French Club, German Club, Spanish Club, Creative Writing, Ronald McDonald House, TED Talks, Technology for Students Association, Unity Club, National Beta Club, Junior Civitan.
Students who meet the necessary requirements may be inducted into JCIB chapters of national honor societies for several fields of areas of study: These honor socieities are including but not limited to the National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, National French Honor Society, National German Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Rho Kappa, Tri-M Music Honor Society, International Thespian Honor Society, National Art Honor Society.
Suburban, residential Jefferson County, Alabama
- World School International Baccalaureate Diploma Program since 1991
- Accredited by AdvancEd and the State of Alabama
- JCIB shares the same campus as Shades Valley High School
- There are approximately 1300 students at Shades Valley/JCIB
- 361 students enrolled in the IB school program
- High school grades 9-12
- Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) Program (11-12)
- All juniors and seniors are pursuing the IB diploma
- 78 Seniors
- 4 National Merit Finalists
- 52 AP Scholars, 22 AP Scholars with Honor, 32 AP Scholars with Distinction and 3 AP National Scholars * (2017-2018 School Year)
- 20 teachers; 18 master’s degrees; 1 specialist; 2 doctorates
- Professional Memberships include but are not limited to: The College Board, NASSP, NCSS, ASCD, NCTE, CSTA, AATF, AWLA, NSTA, NABT, NCTM, AFTG, AATSP, AFSC, FTE, ACSS, CATE, Center for Civic Education
- 4 teachers are Nationally Board Certified; 1 Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics & Science Teachers, I Fulbright Recipient
- 100% of IB students accepted to four-year colleges.
- International Baccalaureate/Advanced Placement Program
- All academic classes are taught on an accelerated level.
- AP Courses that have been offered or are currently offered: US and European History, US Government, Macroeconomics, Human Geography, Psychology, English Language and Literature, Biology, Chemistry, Physics 1, Physics 2 & Physics C, Environmental Science, French, German, Spanish, Statistics, Calculus AB/BC, and Computer Science Principles.
- IB Courses that have been offered or are currently offered: Theory of Knowledge, Mathematics and Mathematic Studies, History, Literature/English, Art, French, German, Spanish, Psychology, Philosophy, Chemistry, Biology, and Environmental Systems
- A 100-90 = 4 points
- B 80-89 = 3 points
- C 70-79 = 2 points
- D 60 – 69 = 1 point
AP and IB Courses are weighted.
GPA = Semester grade points divided by number of courses taken with all subjects included.
Alabama High School Graduation Requirements (Taken from Alabama State Department of Education, May 2018)
Requirements for graduation: 24 Total Credits are required for the Diploma: 4 credits English, 4 Social Science, 4 Math, 4 Scoience, 1 Physical Education, 0.5 Health Eductation, 1 Career Prepardness, 3 Career and Technical Education (CTE) and/or Foreign Language and/or Arts Education, 2.5 Electives.
Test Results: SAT Results* - Based on 2017 - 2018 information
Average Critical Reading: 664
Average Mathematics: 654
Average Composite: 1319
ACT Results - Based on 2017-2018 information
Composite Mean - 29.23;
IB Results - Based on 2017 - 2018 information
- 64% of graduating class earned the IB Diploma
- Average exam score was a 4.38 for diploma earners
- Average Diploma score was a 28
CEEB Code - 011459
- JCIB Head of School - Sandy Jolivette
- SVHS Principal - Dr. Antjuan Marsh
- IB Diploma Coordinator - Dr. April Lufkin Miller