The mission of Rudd Middle School's Comprehensive Counseling Program is to provide our students with a program that is grounded in helping students recognize their capability today, tomorrow, and beyond. We work hard to create a safe learning environment for all students, helping them become successful life-long learners who are respectful, kind, and servant-hearted. By taking part in comprehensive and nurturing school counseling experiences, all students have a solid base toward college and career plans, ready to be positive change agents in today's world.
The vision of Rudd Middle School's Counseling Program is to empower and encourage all students to achieve their full potential in a nurturing environment with high expectations and full support. Students from Rudd Middle School possess the necessary skills to be empathetic and compassionate towards others, independent and responsible individuals, and college and career ready.
What are RMS Counselors responsible for?
- Teaching classroom counseling lessons
- Facilitating short-term small group counseling
- Providing short-term, individual counseling
- Working collaboratively with teachers and staff
- Consulting with parents
- Providing information and/or referrals for community resources to families
- Advising students on academic planning and career guidance
- Working with Pinson Valley High School to inform students of the academic requirements for high school, including assisting students with registration and development of the state mandated high school 4 year plan
- Acting as Building Test Coordinator
- Serving on the Problem Solving Team (PST)
- Serving on the PBIS (Positive Behavioral Intervention and Supports) Committee
- Serving as Homebound/Section 504 Coordinators
- Conducting annual required teacher trainings
We are immediately available to meet with any student in crisis. However, every attempt is made by us not to interrupt academic classes (Math, Science, English, and Social Studies) whenever possible for non-emergency situations. We have an open door policy for students, and also maintain a Google Form for students requesting to speak with a Counselor. The RMS Counseling Office is a Safe Space where ALL students are welcome.